Downpayment and Loan to Value Requirements

• Helga Vannett

February 22, 2024 at 9:04 pm

Hey everyone, forgive me but I hope my question here is valid.

I’m a student and I’m really itching to get my own place. I’d love to hear from you guys about how you started your journey to owning your first property and managing all the requirements that come with it. I’ve done my research but aside from I need to build my credit up, I can only afford maybe 5% of the down payment requirement. Any tips or advice you can share would be awesome!

• Lynette MItchell

February 22, 2024 at 10:03 pm

Let’s say you really want to use a First Lien HELOC for a home, but you’re short on the usual 10% down payment. Here are some things you may want to consider:

Look for Help: See if there are any programs that can chip in with your down payment. Some places offer help to make buying a home easier.

Save Up: Start squirreling away as much cash as you can. Try cutting back on spending or picking up odd jobs to boost your down payment savings.

Explore Different Loans: Check out special loans like FHA or VA loans that don’t need as much down payment money. They might be easier to get if you’re short on cash.

Talk to an Expert: Don’t be shy about chatting with a financial advisor or someone who knows the ropes of home buying. They can give you the lowdown and help you figure out the best way forward.

Buying a home can feel like a big puzzle, but there are always ways to make it work – even if you don’t have all the cash up front. Just take it one step at a time, and you’ll get there!