Finding Viable Investment Properties

• Finding Viable Investment Properties

Posted by FLH Team on March 21, 2024 at 4:45 pm

Are you on the hunt for investment properties that can provide you with strong returns and long-term growth? You’ve come to the right place! Join our discussion forum to connect with fellow investors, share your strategies, and learn from the experiences of others on how to find viable investment properties.

Greg Valencia replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Beth Wilkes

February 7, 2024 at 3:27 am

Hi everyone, I’m new to real estate investing and struggling to find good investment properties. Any tips on how to spot a viable investment in today’s market?

• Greg Valencia

February 7, 2024 at 3:31 am

Finding a good investment property requires a mix of research, patience, and sometimes a bit of luck. Start with defining your investment goals. Are you looking for cash flow, appreciation, or a bit of both?

• Beth Wilkes

February 7, 2024 at 3:36 am

Thanks! I’m leaning towards cash flow but wouldn’t mind appreciation. I’ve been looking online and driving around neighborhoods but feel a bit lost.

• Greg Valencia

For cash flow, focus on areas with high rental demand. Look at local employment rates, school quality, and amenities. Online platforms are great, but also consider networking with local real estate agents who specialize in investment properties. They often have insider knowledge about upcoming deals.

• Beth Wilkes

Got it. How about figuring out the right price to offer? I’m worried about overpaying.

• Greg Valencia

February 7, 2024 at 3:38 am

A crucial part is to learn how to analyze deals. Calculate the potential rental income, subtract all expenses (including mortgage, taxes, insurance, and maintenance), and ensure you have a positive cash flow. Use the 1% rule as a quick check – monthly rent should be at least 1% of the purchase price.

• Beth Wilkes

February 7, 2024 at 3:38 am

That 1% rule sounds helpful. And for appreciation?

• Greg Valencia

February 7, 2024 at 3:39 am

Appreciation is trickier since it’s speculative. Look for signs of growth in the area, such as new infrastructure projects, businesses moving in, or government investment. Areas on the edge of popular neighborhoods can offer growth potential at a lower entry price.

• Beth Wilkes

February 7, 2024 at 3:40 am

This is really useful advice, thanks! I guess there’s no substitute for doing my homework and staying patient.

• Greg Valencia

February 7, 2024 at 3:40 am

Exactly, and always be ready to act quickly when you find a good deal. The best properties don’t stay on the market for long. Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions as you go along!